An increasing number of corporations engage with users in co-innovation of products and services. But there are a number of competing perspectives on how best to integrate these understandings into existing corporate innovation development processes. This paper maps out three of the dominant approaches, compares them in terms of goals, methods and basic philosophy, and shows how they may beneficially enrich one another. We will present an industrial innovation case that has been instrumental to the development of what we have termed "Participatory Innovation". Based on this, we will list the challenges such an approach sets to innovation management, and discuss research directions of what we see as fundamental to the development of the field of user-driven innovation.
- Human-Computer Interaction 9(1), 151 (1994), DOI: 10.1207/s15327051hci0902_1. Crossref, ISI, Google Scholar
- Information Appliances and Beyond: Interaction Design for Consumer Products, ed.
E. Bergman(Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, 2000) pp. 81–102. Google Scholar,
- Participatory Design: Principles and Practices, eds.
D. Schuler and A. Namioka(Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ, 1993) pp. 123–156. Google Scholar,
- ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction 9(2), 152 (2002). Crossref, Google Scholar
- Social Studies of Science 28(1), 73 (1998), DOI: 10.1177/030631298028001003. Crossref, ISI, Google Scholar
- Communications of the ACM 42(5), 63 (1999), DOI: 10.1145/301353.301417. Crossref, ISI, Google Scholar
J. Buur , T. Binder and E. Brandt, Taking video beyond 'Hard Data' in user centred design , Proc. of the Participatory Design Conference ( 2000 ) . Google Scholar
J. Buur and L. Sitorus, Ethnography as design provocation , Proc. of the Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference (EPIC 2007) ( 2007 ) . Google Scholar
A. Crabtree, Designing Collaborative Systems: A Practical Guide to Ethnography ( Springer , London , 2003 ) . Google Scholar
- Computers and Democracy, eds.
G. Bjerknes , P. Ehn and M. Kyng(Avebury, Aldershot, England, 1987) pp. 17–58. Google Scholar,
- Design at Work: Cooperative Design of Computer Systems, eds.
J. Greenbaum and M. Kyng(Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc, Mahwah, NJ, 1991) pp. 169–195. Google Scholar,
- Journal of Product Innovation Management 23, 301 (2006), DOI: 10.1111/j.1540-5885.2006.00203.x. Crossref, ISI, Google Scholar
- Interpretive Social Science: A Reader, eds.
P. Rabinow and W. M. Sullivan(University of California Press, Berkeley, 1979) pp. 225–241. Crossref, Google Scholar,
C. Heath and P. Luff, Collaborative activity and technological design: task coordination in London Underground control rooms , Proc. of the Second European Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work ( 1991 ) . Google Scholar
L. E. Holmquist, User-driven innovation in the future applications lab , Proc. of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems ( ACM Press , Vienna, Austria , 2004 ) . Google Scholar
D. Nafus and K. Anderson, The Real Problem: Rhethorics of Knowing in Corporate Ethnographic Research , Ethnographic Praxis in Industry (EPIC 2006)( American Anthropological Association , 2006 ) . Google Scholar
J. Pedersen and J. Buur, Games and movies — towards an innovative engagement with users , Proc. of the CoDesigning Conference ( 2000 ) . Google Scholar
D. Schuler and A. Namioka, Participatory Design: Principles and Practices ( Lawrence Erlbaum Associates , Hillsdale, NJ , 1993 ) . Google Scholar
- Journal of Human-Computer Interaction 15(1), 41 (2003), DOI: 10.1207/S15327590IJHC1501_04. Crossref, ISI, Google Scholar
L. A. Suchman, Plans and Situated Actions: The Problem of Human-Machine Communication ( Cambridge University Press , Cambridge, New York , 1987 ) . Google Scholar
E. Von Hippel, The Sources of Innovation ( Oxford University Press , New York , 1988 ) . Google Scholar
E. Von Hippel, Democratizing Innovation ( MIT Press , Cambridge, Mass , 2005 ) . Crossref, Google Scholar
S. C. Wheelwright and K. B. Clark, Revolutionizing Product Development: Quantum Leaps in Speed, Efficiciency and Quality ( Free Press , New York , 1992 ) . Google Scholar
S. Ylirisku and J. Buur, Designing with Video: Focusing the User-Centred Design Process ( Springer-Verlag , London , 2007 ) . Google Scholar
|Remember to check out the Most Cited Articles!|
Be inspired by these New Titles in Business and Management